If You Filed a Claim With the Hawaiian Home Lands Trust Individual Claims Review Panel On Or Before August 31, 1995, You May Be Entitled to Receive a Settlement Payment as a Class Member.
May 5, 2023, Update:
Correction Requests Submitted
All correction requests submitted in response to the notices sent in January had to be postmarked by April 3, 2023. If you submitted a correction request, the information you have provided, as well as the Hawaiian Claims Office and DHHL files available, will be reviewed. All claims are subject to correction based on this review.
The June 2023 Notice will include all corrections made to your claim.
June 2023 Notice
All Class Members will receive notice in June 2023. This notice will give the estimated settlement payment and will include information about claims administration costs and attorneys’ fees sought by Class Counsel.
Probate Plan Update
The Probate Special Master and Probate Special Counsel are working on a Probate Plan that will distribute settlement payments to families of deceased class members. You will receive more information about the Probate Plan in the June 2023 notice.
Relatives and Heirs – Information Request Forms
If you are a relative of a deceased class member and have not already done so, please submit an Information Request Form listing all the family members of the deceased class members as indicated on the form—spouses, children, grandchildren, etc.
If you have any questions, please contact the Claims Administrator immediately at info@Kalima-Lawsuit.com or by calling 1-808-650-5551 or 1-833-639-1308 (Toll-Free).
Thank you for your continued patience and kōkua.
Who Is Part Of This Lawsuit
The Class Members for this Settlement are “All persons who filed claims with the Hawaiian Home Lands Trust Individual Claims Review Panel on or before August 31, 1995.”
The Following Persons Will Not Receive a Settlement Payment
- Individuals who did not file a claim with the Panel on or before August 31, 1995.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but the claim did not assert an individual breach of trust which occurred between August 21, 1959, and June 30, 1988.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but the claim asserted an individual breach of trust that occurred after June 30, 1988.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but the claim was not a valid HRS Chapter 674 claim.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but settled their claim.
- Individuals who opted out of the Lawsuit in response to the 2007 class notice.
- Individuals who opted out of the Lawsuit in response to the 2012 class notice.
- Individuals who opt out of the Settlement Class and this Settlement by sending a valid and timely Opt-Out Letter to the Claims Administrator.
If you have another legal claim involving Hawaiian Home Lands issues, please call the Native Hawaiian Legal Corporation at 1-808-521-2302 or the Hawai'i Association for Justice at 1-808-262-9191.
NOTICE: The attorneys and other people working on this case will never ask you for your banking or other financial information. You may be asked to verify your identity.
Please do not call the Judge, the Clerk of the Court, or the State of Hawai'i about this case. They will not be able to give you advice about this case. If you have questions, please call 1-808-650-5551 or 1-833-639-1308 (Toll-Free).