If You Filed a Claim With the Hawaiian Home Lands Trust Individual Claims Review Panel On Or Before August 31, 1995, You May Be Entitled to Receive a Settlement Payment as a Class Member.
March 22, 2023, Update:
All reasonable efforts are being used in the review process to compile accurate data for all Class Members’ claims. This review is complicated due to DHHL’s incomplete and conflicting records dating to the 1950s and even earlier in some cases, and the fact that claim forms submitted in the 1990s were submitted without legal assistance and were not fully investigated. All Class Members' claims are evaluated as accurately and as completely as possible with the information available, and this process is being completed as quickly as possible under these circumstances.
Reminder: Correction Requests Due April 3, 2023
All correction requests in response to the notices sent in January must be postmarked by April 3, 2023. If you submit a correction request, the information you have provided, as well as the Hawaiian Claims Office and DHHL files, will be reviewed. All claims are subject to correction based on this review. You will be notified of any correction(s) or change(s) by a letter to be sent in late April.
If you are submitting corrections, please use the Claim Correction Form or the Construction Correction Form to submit your requested corrections.
Notice: Second Notice Errors
Errors were discovered in some of the Second Notices mailed in January 2023. If an error was made regarding your claim(s), a correction letter has been sent to notify you of any change in the date(s) regarding your claims(s), with a corrected Second Notice enclosed. Please read the corrections carefully and, if necessary, respond as indicated in the correction letter and corrected Second Notice. If you have any questions please contact the Claims Administrator immediately at info@Kalima-Lawsuit.com or by calling 1-808-650-5551 or 1-833-639-1308 (Toll-Free).
Thank you for your continued patience and kōkua.
Who Is Part Of This Lawsuit
The Class Members for this Settlement are “All persons who filed claims with the Hawaiian Home Lands Trust Individual Claims Review Panel on or before August 31, 1995.”
The Following Persons Will Not Receive a Settlement Payment
- Individuals who did not file a claim with the Panel on or before August 31, 1995.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but the claim did not assert an individual breach of trust which occurred between August 21, 1959, and June 30, 1988.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but the claim asserted an individual breach of trust that occurred after June 30, 1988.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but the claim was not a valid HRS Chapter 674 claim.
- Individuals who filed a timely claim with the Panel but settled their claim.
- Individuals who opted out of the Lawsuit in response to the 2007 class notice.
- Individuals who opted out of the Lawsuit in response to the 2012 class notice.
- Individuals who opt out of the Settlement Class and this Settlement by sending a valid and timely Opt-Out Letter to the Claims Administrator.
If you have another legal claim involving Hawaiian Home Lands issues, please call the Native Hawaiian Legal Corporation at 1-808-521-2302 or the Hawai'i Association for Justice at 1-808-262-9191.
NOTICE: The attorneys and other people working on this case will never ask you for your banking or other financial information. You may be asked to verify your identity.
Please do not call the Judge, the Clerk of the Court, or the State of Hawai'i about this case. They will not be able to give you advice about this case. If you have questions, please call 1-808-650-5551 or 1-833-639-1308 (Toll-Free).