Information for Class Members

This information is for Class Members in the Kalima v. State lawsuit. Class Members are “All persons who filed claims with the Hawaiian Home Lands Trust Individual Claims Review Panel on or before August 31, 1995.”


On June 6, 2022, the First Circuit Court granted preliminary approval for a class action settlement in the Kalima v. State lawsuit. If you are a Class Member, you will be receiving written information in the coming weeks.

Payment will be computed by a Claims Administrator under the direction of a Settlement Special Master, who will present them to the Court for approval.

Class Members who do not opt-out and pursue their own lawsuit will receive a formal notice of settlement payment and can accept the payment or file objections with the judge.

Do I have to do anything right now?

If you are a class member, you do not have to take any action at this time for your claim to be considered.

How do I update my contact information?

Please provide current contact information by filling out the Information Request Form here.

Am I being represented in the claims process?

Class counsel represents all Class Members in the settlement process. Your claim will be presented based upon the written claim evidence you submitted to the Panel and other records. If more information is needed, someone will contact you.

What communications can I expect to receive regarding the Kalima Lawsuit?

You may receive official mail from the Claims Administrator. All letters will reference the Kalima lawsuit or Kalima Claims Administration in the return address.

If you are requested to submit information on your claim, please do so promptly.

You will not be asked for personal financial information, such as information about your bank account or assets.

How do I find out about the status of my claim?

Notice will be sent to you once your claim has been referred to the Claims Administrator and validated.

I’m elderly. If I die or can’t make decisions, will I lose my claim?

You can designate a person who can make decisions about your claim if you become unable to do so or pass before your claim is resolved. Click here for an Assignment of Authority Over Claims form.

It will take you to a form that you can download and use to designate someone to make decisions about your claims if you cannot or if you pass before they are resolved by the court. IT IS NOT A WILL. It will allow the person you designate to make decisions about settling your claim in court. IT DOES NOT DESIGNATE WHO WILL RECEIVE YOUR AWARD.

How do I contact you?

Contact information for the Claims Administrator is available by clicking here. Contact information for Class Counsel is available in FAQ 30.